Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 76001558
Historic Name PRESIDENT'S HOUSE (BOYD HOUSE) UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA
Description of Significance CONSTRUCTED AROUND 1903 BY DAVID ROSS BOYD, PRESIDENT OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA, THE HOUSE WAS PURCHASED BY THE STATE IN 1914 TO BECOME THE OFFICIAL RESIDENCE OF THE UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT. AT THIS TIME, THE ORIGINAL BOYD HOUSE WAS ENLARGED TO ITS PRESENT SIXE. THE HOUSE IS DOMINATED BY THE PORTICO, A FULL-HEIGHT PEDIMENTED PORCH SUPPORTED BY FLUTED IONIC COLUMNS. LOCATED DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM CAMPUS, THE BOYD HOUSE SERVES TO OVERSEE THE ACTIVITIES OF THE UNIVERSITY. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 7/6/76.
Current Name
Address 407 WEST BOYD
City NORMAN
County CLEVELAND
Lot 13 & 14
Block 1, ELMWOOD ADDITION
Current Section
Township
Range
Type BUILDING
Historic Function DOMESTIC: SINGLE DWELLING
Current Function DOMESTIC: SINGLE DWELLING
Area Signficance 1 EDUCATION
Area Significance 2 ARCHITECTURE
Date Prepared 3/1976
Year Built C. 1903; C. 1915
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder
Architectural Style CLASSICAL REVIVAL
Roof Material ASPHALT
Wall Material WOOD
Window Material WOOD
Door Material WOOD
Decorative Details OVERSIZED IONIC COLUMNS ON PORTICO; PALLADIAN WINDOWS IN SIDE GABLES
Condition
Comments
Restricted N